For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is Luxury Holiday Cottages Limited (Company No. 12373417) with registered office Denise Coates Foundation Building, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, England, ST5 5NS.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site (for example, if you sign up to become a subscriber) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, website address, phone number and, in some cases, identification documents payment information and financial details (for example, if you book a property with us).
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (“IP”) address used to connect your computer or mobile phone to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit via Google Analytics or equivalent tracking software, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (“URL”) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products and properties you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser, the hard drive of your computer or on your mobile device. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive or mobile device.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to submit a question or query on our site.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our site. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our site, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our site more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You may also be able to configure your computer or mobile device to limit the collection of these cookies, but that limitation may also limit our ability to provide all the services or functionality of our site.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We may use this information:
- to verify your identity;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to correspond with you regarding any booking you have made;
- to manage and provide services in respect of any property you have booked or that you own;
- to administer any loyalty schemes that we may run from time to time;
- to provide you with details of any products or services that you may wish to book;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you;
- to keep you informed of any offers, discounts or promotions that we may run from time to time and to provide you with news updates and bulletins we think may interest you;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or mobile device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you.
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors who process payments and investments/subscriptions on our behalf.
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors who provide hosting services to us.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Luxury Cottages or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by Luxury Cottages (including your data) about its customers, suppliers and correspondents will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Service.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA“). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
STATUS OF THIS POLICY AND YOUR CONSENT
For some of the uses of your information described above there is a legal basis under the Act for us to use the information without your consent. (This includes, for example, legitimate provision of information to service providers acting on our behalf and where we are fulfilling an obligation under a contract with you). Where this is the case, this policy fulfils our duty to process information fairly, which includes giving you appropriate notice and explanation of the way in which your information will be used.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us by post at Luxury Holiday Cottages Limited (Company No. 12373417) at our registered office at Denise Coates Foundation Building, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, England, ST5 5NS or by email at [email protected].
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.